Having 3 meals a day is beneficial for many reasons:
1. Three balanced meals a day will give you the necessary energy to perform your daily tasks and less prone to afternoon energy dips, mood changes and reaching for sugary pick me ups and coffee to get through the day.
2. It gives your body ample time to digest your meals thoroughly giving your body a better chance to absorb the nutrients from your food as well as giving your digestion a rest and time to build ample hydrochloric acid ready for the next meal. Your digestion includes your stomach, pancreas and liver. Just like we need a rest from activity so do these very important organs.
3. Every 90 minutes there is a wave (called the migrating motor wave) that sweeps through your digestive tract designed to keep bacteria in the correct place. When there is food in your digestive tract this wave is disrupted making you more prone to small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). Some common symptoms of SIBO include bloating, excess gas, IBS symptoms and can lead to leaky gut, allergies and many other health concerns. Breaks between eating allows the migrating motor wave to perform its task.
4. Insulin is a hormone that is released after eating to regulate blood sugar levels and messages the muscle and fat cells to uptake glucose. If there is constantly insulin floating around in your body it is messaging your body to store, making it very difficult to lose weight.
5. With constant snacking particularly on high glycaemic refined carbohydrates and sugary foods prolonged insulin circulating around the body will lead to a decrease in insulin receptor sensitivity and insulin resistance. This means we end up with even more insulin in the blood telling the body to store which increases fat around the stomach, makes it increasingly difficult to lose weight, and makes you more prone to develop diabetes.